ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Givler, Eric" <egiv...@state.pa.us>
Subject RE: Deprecating PaginatedList interfaces and SqlMapClient method
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 16:12:03 GMT
-1

I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for the deprecation.

1. I use PaginatedList when I want to display a list of rows a page at a time.  I keep the
list in the session, and call nextPage() and previousPage() based on events.  Since the list
is already handling reading extra data, it's very responsive.  When I'm done with the list,
I discard it.
2. I don't see why it's not flexible if PaginatedList is the interface.  Can't someone still
write to this interface?
3. PaginatedList provides a wrapper around the queryForList() method - it's calling it in
the getList method, so if it's using it internally,

I think it provides an easy way of dealing with a common web interface requirement.

Can't we say that queryforList with skip and count is not efficient because we are reading
rows and discarding them, rather than using an optimum way of getting directly at the slice
of data that we want?  See: Getting Rows N to M of a resultset: http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:::::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID:127412348064

Oh well, just some thoughts.  It's not like I'm going to stop using it - it's great!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Clinton Begin [mailto:clinton.begin@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 10:43 AM
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org; dev@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: Deprecating PaginatedList interfaces and SqlMapClient method

Hi all,

I'd like to suggest that we deprecate the PaginatedList interface, all implementations of
it, and the SqlMapClient methods that use it.

Why?

1.	It's currently overused where it probably shouldn't be used at all.

2.	It's not a flexible model, so you can't supply your own implementation of PaginatedList.

3.	Using queryForList() with skip and count parameters is better all around.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Clinton