Basically speaking, the lazy-loading query is executing immediately, but the data is somehow not being set. So I'll query for an "id" property, but the data doesn't persist. If I remove the code from the constructor which invokes a method, the data will persist. Go figure! I don't know why, and so I hope Clinton will be able to help out: I sent him a simple example.

As to Larry's point, calling setters on a field defined on a class is kind of ancillary. It doesn't have to be setters -- it could be any method. But if you want to call setters, it is to allow defensive logic to run. Perhaps you want assertions or other kind of parameter checks in your mutators.

Paul