From: Poitras Christian [mailto:Christian.Poitras@ircm.qc.ca]
Sent: vrijdag 23 maart 2007 22:22
To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
Subject: RE: Polymorphism question

Hi.

You can always do some left joins with the id. Something like.

Select id, col1, col2, type, colX, colY, colZ, colW

From BaseTable LEFT JOIN ChildTable1 ON BaseTable.id = ChildTable1.id LEFT JOIN ChildTable2 ON BaseTable.id = ChildTable2.id

Then any resultMap for these will work since the columns must be there if the map reads it, otherwise columns are unnecessary.

This approch seems to be the only thing that would work with a join.

Still, you can do a twist with discriminator tag.

<resultMap id="baseMap">

  <discriminator column="type">

    <subMap value="1" resultMap="child1">

    <subMap value="2" resultMap="child2">

  </discriminator>

</resultMap>

<resultMap id="map1">

  <result property="subClass" property="id" select="getChildInfo1"/>

</resultMap>

<resultMap id="map2">

  <result property="subClass" property="id" select="getChildInfo2"/>

</resultMap>

By making sure the subClass calls setters of your main class, you can force a second select to be call to populate values from child table.

I doudt you can make a reference to the populating object itself (being able to write "this" would be a cool improvement!) inside the disciminator when you would like a second call to database...

Possible improvement.

<resultMap id="map1">

  <result property="this" property="id" select="getChildInfo1"/>

</resultMap>

Christian