It shouldn't be hitting the server regardless.   iBATIS uses a custom EntityResolver that looks it up in the JAR file.  Check to make sure  your doctype is correctly set to ibatis.apache.org

Or if for some reason your XML parser isn't honoring the EntityResolver, then you can keep local copies of the DTD and use a file:// url.

Clinton