Here's one way to do it.  First make this class...

public class MyCriteria extends XYZExample.Criteria {
  public MyCriteria addCustomCriteria(String value) {
    addCriterion("col1 || \"\" like", value, "col1");
    return this;
  }
}

Then use it like this...

XYZExample example = new XYZExample();
MyCriteria myCriteria = new MyCriteria();
example.or(myCriteria);
myCriteria.addCustomCriteria("some value");
List answer = dao.selectByExample(example);

Jeff Butler