ibatis-user-java mailing list archives

From "Kezerashvili, Denis" <Denis.Kezerashv...@gs.com>
Subject RE: Problem exposing protected setters for iBatis
Date Mon, 12 May 2008 16:25:20 GMT
The property is actually private, the setter is protected.
It is protected so that it's available in the classes extending the
parent class.
For example, Entity has setId() method defined. User class extends
Entity and therefore has setId() available.
Honestly, I would prefer the setter to be private in Entity, but that
was causing a problem when iBATIS was persisting classes in the same
package for the classes extending Entity. For child classes of Entity
outside of its package no access modifier other than public worked.
I guess if the fix can make use of private setters in the parent class
it would be a perfect solution, which actually does not seem
unreasonable to me.

________________________________

	From: Nathan Maves [mailto:nathan.maves@gmail.com]
	Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 12:08 PM
	To: user-java@ibatis.apache.org
	Subject: Re: Problem exposing protected setters for iBatis

	Can I ask what the point of labeling the property as protected
is in your case?

	On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Clinton Begin
<clinton.begin@gmail.com> wrote:

		I think I've confirmed this bug visually.  It looks like
a change went
		in quite some time ago that stopped this from working.
I'll write a
		few unit tests and see if we can get a fix into the next
minor beta.
		We have to re-release anyway, due to a JDK 1.4
incompatibility in the
		most recent beta.

		Clinton

		On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Kezerashvili, Denis
		<Denis.Kezerashvili@gs.com> wrote:

		> Thank you Koka for the link.
		>
		> I am actually well aware of the fact that iBATIS uses
reflection to call
		> setters. And yes it works fine with private setters.
It also works fine with
		> protected setters for the child classes in the same
package. So if you have
		> User class extending Entity class that has a protected
void setId(); it will
		> work for User class in iBATIS.
		> The problem arises when your User class is NOT in the
same package as your
		> Entity class. Apparently the reflection calls are made
on User class and for
		> some reason it has no access to the setId() method
inherited from the Entity
		> class. If the reflection call was made on Entity
instead it would've worked,
		> but I do not think iBATIS is doing that. Or maybe it
can do that, but it has
		> to be configured somehow to make reflection calls on
the parent class.

		> Does anybody know how to do that, or if it's even
possible?