I think the only reliable way to check whether connection is valid is to execute something using the connection (so it requires roundtrip to db).
However
a) this execution happens only once for your transaction (which may include numbers of CRUD operations etc)
b) Validation query is chosen to be simple (like select 1 from dual for oracle), so that performance penalty is minimal.

So IMO unless you are designing some realtime application you can stop worrying about additional roundtrip stealing maybe a dozen of milliseconds...