No version of iBATIS has ever actively converted types.  If it worked in iBATIS 2, it was strictly by luck.  It was never a feature though.

You shouldn't need to specify the JDBC type in the example you give though, because it's not nullable (that query would be invalid with a null value).  You would only get that error if you actually pass a null into the query.

Because Java is strongly typed, iBATIS embraces that, while hopefully striking a balance of simplicity and avoids duplicate type definition where possible.

Clinton