The original question sort of implied an answer, which might have us all missing the goals.

For example, to map directly to XML, there's no need to replace the ResultSetHandler.  Perhaps the confusion is that the op might have been referring to Spring's ResultSetHandler, which is a completely different construct.

In iBATIS, if you want to support a different result type, it's done at a much different level.

The ObjectWrapperFactory interface is a sort of plug-in that allows iBATIS to be extended to support different types (like Scala objects, or XML).  The only two supported by iBATIS out of the box are Java POJOs/Beans and Maps (like HashMap).

The interface is pretty simple.  However I recommend looking at the other implementations, including the Scala one, to see how it should be implemented.

public interface ObjectWrapperFactory {
  boolean hasWrapperFor(Object object);
  ObjectWrapper getWrapperFor(MetaObject metaObject, Object object);
}

Cheers,
Clinton