ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Jira accounts
Date Fri, 14 Nov 2014 20:52:28 GMT
On 14.11.2014 20:34, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> Understood.
>
> To be honest, I want people to have Jira accounts to make it possible to
> assign a task to someone other than me.

As Henry already said, everyone should already have a Jira account.
Credentials are the same as for repository access (i.e., it uses LDAP).

> Now that we are on the subject, the process I had in mind is to create Jira
> tickets, discuss them with folks beforehand, and assign them to interested
> parties. Are there any suggestions to how this should be handled
> differently within Apache?

It's up to you guys to figure out what works best. Only two things are
really important:

  * Discussions (about procedure, features, etc.) must happen on this
    mailing list. That doesn't mean people aren't allowed to talk about
    things offline, of course; but the mailing list is the official
    archive of community decisions.
  * Community is more important than code, and consensus is more
    important than "being right". And when I say "community," that
    includes users and other contributors, not just committers or PMC.

Within these constraints, everything is pretty much open. Some projects
write down detailed bylaws; some depend just on tradition and community
contiguity to get the same effect. Some are very open to new
contributions, others are very restrictive in that respect.

I have a pretty strong opinion of how things should work, but it's not
my place to tell you guys how to run the project. I'll just speak up
loudly if I see something that looks like it's going in the wrong
direction. :)

Back to your question about assigning to interested parties: that's the
right kind of approach (as opposed to, e.g., just assigning suff without
asking about "interest"). Ideally, said interested parties would just
assign the tasks to themselves; a functioning community shouldn't need
that kind of centralized management.

-- Brane