ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Valentin Kulichenko <valentin.kuliche...@gmail.com>
Subject Client connect "hangs"
Date Fri, 11 Dec 2015 19:43:36 GMT
Folks,

Currently there are two different ways how a client node behaves in case
there are no server nodes:

   1. If it's trying to start, it will wait and block the thread that
   called Ignition.start().
   2. If server nodes left when it was already running, it will throw
   disconnect exception on any API call.

It seems confusing to me (and not only to me, as far as I can see from the
users' feedback). First of all, it's just inconsistent and requires
different processing for these different cases. Second of all, p.1 is often
treated as a hang, but not as correct behavior. And it's getting worse when
the node is started as a part of web application, because it blocks the
application startup process.

I think we should start a client node (or at least have a configurable
option) even if there are no servers yet. Until the first server joins, it
will just throw disconnect exceptions.

Thoughts?

-Val