ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Vladimir Ozerov <voze...@gridgain.com>
Subject Versioning policies for .NET and CPP
Date Fri, 18 Dec 2015 08:42:07 GMT
Folks,

We have some versioning policies in Java. Normaly Java version looks like
"A.B.C.[suffix]", where [suffix] could potnetially be anything - "b", "p",
"rc", "ga", "final", etc.

In .NET/CPP on Windows we have to follow standard versioning format
"A.B.C.D", where D is a value between 0 and 65536. The quesion is how to
map string suffix to some numerical value.

I have an idea to rely on release date. E.g.
1) Take year of the last major release as a starting point.
2) Amount of hours spent from starting point is a value of D. Hours, not
years because several releases could potnetially happen in the same day.

E.g.:
- Last major release was in 2015
- Today is 12/18/2015
- D = 24 * 340 /* days since 01/01/2015 */ + 6 /* hours */ = Ignite.NET
1.5.0.8166.

*Pros:*
- Newer versions always have bigger "D" component. GA will be greater than
beta, patch 2 will be greater than patch 1, etc..
*Cons:*
- Version have to be updated just before release.

Does anyone have concerns/thoughts about it?

Vladimir.