ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Igor Sapego <isap...@gridgain.com>
Subject Improving Linux build process for C++ components.
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2016 15:11:28 GMT
Hello, Igniters,

Lately I've been working on the C++ components of Ignite and
I believe we need to rework the way we are building and shipping C++
components in Linux with Autotools.

I'll explain. Currently build process of the Apache Ignite C++ client
library looks like follows:
cd $IGNITE_HOME/platforms/cpp/utils
libtoolize
aclocal
autoheader
automake --add-missing
autoreconf
./configure
make
sudo make install (sic!)

cd $IGNITE_HOME/platforms/cpp/binary
... (repeate above steps for every other library)

Basically user needs to build all components (including internal libraries)
manually in the right order making a lot of steps. More than that, to build
most libs they need to install Ignite components for their system. And
additionally they need to have autotools installed for they system to build
Ignite.

What I propose is to change build process to something as simple as:
cd $IGNITE_HOME/platforms/cpp
./configure [--enable-component1 [--disable-component-2] ...]
make

This will not require root, autotools, knowledge of the sequence and
dependencies between internal components and it's just much simpler.

Thoughts?

Best Regards,
Igor