ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] dependencies and release process for Ignite Extensions
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2019 19:05:19 GMT
Hi Saikat,

Thanks for driving this activity forward and raising the question. Let me
share my thoughts below and let's see what the broader community thinks.

Each extension needs to have its own version unrelated to the core and
Maven's groupId parameter for extension artifacts should be
"org.apache.ignite.ext". For instance, the very first release of Flink in
the form of extension should be pulled from Maven this way

<dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.ignite.ext</groupId>
            <artifactId>ignite-flink</artifactId>
            <version>1.0.0</version>
</dependency>

When it comes to the releases, all the extensions need to be verified for
an upcoming release and updated if needed (with the version increase only
for those updated). Thus, looks like the extensions master needs to be
linked to the latest Ignite core snapshot. Whenever the core will be being
prepared and any extensions need to be modified we can take this approach:

   - Create a branch of extensions for the upcoming core release. For
   instance, "ignite-core-2.9+" branch. That's just the branch name (and not
   any Maven artifact name) with "+" sign implying that the updated extensions
   will work for Ignite 2.9 and later until we need to update them again
   creating a release branch like "ignite-core-2.14+"
   - If only a subset of the extensions was updated then we need to release
   those extensions to Maven. The goal is to avoid the practice of publishing
   Flink or any other extension to Maven for every core release if there are
   no changes.
   - As for a ZIP archive, we should prepare the archive for a download
   with the name like "ignite-core-2.9+"

-
Denis