ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Nikolay Izhikov <nizhi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Command line interface to manage distributed properties
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2020 14:19:58 GMT
Hello, Anton.

> 1) Publish distributed property

I propose to use SystemView API to accomplish this.
Actually, there is PR for it, already [1]

Distributed property will be available via SQL - «SELECT * FROM SYS.DISTRIBUTED_METASTORAGE»
Or via JMX in the corresponding bean.

> 2) Permission for distributed properties

Do we really need separate permission for each property?
Would it be enough to have one permission «DISTRIBUTED_PROPERTY_WRITE» or similar?
WIth it we allow to the user SET operation for any property.

[1] https://github.com/apache/ignite/pull/8225/files

> 8 сент. 2020 г., в 16:53, Anton Kalashnikov <kaa.dev@yandex.ru> написал(а):
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> I think I agree with Nikolay that we should make available all our property not only
some of them. Also maybe it makes sense to split this task into two tasks in the following
way: Publish all distributed property through public interfaces(control.sh, jmx, etc.), Giving
possibility to add permission to some properties.

> In my opinion, we need the following changes(it is just a high overview of my ideas):
>
> 1) Publish distributed property
> - DistributedConfigurationProcessor new methods: propertyList(): List<DistributedProperty>,
get(propertyName): DistributedProperty
> - DistributedProperty new methods: stringView(), propagateFromString(valueAsString) -
it's discussable, I still don't sure it is great place for such methods. Perhaps we should
have a some converter inside of control.sh or whatever.

> Usage:
> List<DistributedProperty> allClusterProperties = distributedConfigurationProcessor.list();
> allClusterProperties.forEach( prop -> System.out.printl(prop.stringView()) );
>
> DistributedProperty baselineAutoAdjustEnabled = distributedConfigurationProcessor.get("baselineAutoAdjustEnabled");
> baselineAutoAdjustEnabled.propagateFromString("true");//baselineAutoAdjustEnabled.propagate(true)
>
> Open questions:
> - How to update complex objects(any object which is not primitive)?
> - Does it ok to convert the object to string inside the DistributedProperty?
>
> 2) Permission for distributed properties
> - New class for permission - unfortunately, it's broking all hierarchy(DistributedLongProperty,
DistributedBooleanProperty etc.) but maybe it is not a big problem
> class PermissibleDistributedProperty<T> extends SimpleDistributedProperty<InnerPermissionWrapper<T>>
{
>    PermittedDistributedProperty(key, realValue, readPermission, writePermission) {
>       super(key, new InnerPermissionWrapper(realValue, readPermission, writePermission);
>     }
> }
>
> - I don't know a lot about ignite security so I don't sure where we should check the
permission in that case - it can be a new special processor or just inside a job

> One more idea - instead of creating the PermittedDistributedProperty we can store some
mapping <property, readPermission, writePermission> separately(it can be static mapping
or it can be stored in some new DistributedProperty). But in this case, it is possible to
lost permission after property renaming.

> --
> Best regards,
> Anton Kalashnikov
>

> 05.09.2020, 10:09, "Nikolay Izhikov" <nizhikov@apache.org>:
>> Hello, Taras.
>>
>> One more thing:
>>
>>>  --property list - prints list of the available properties with description,
e.g.:

>> We have a convenient API to show Ignite internal objects - System Views [1]
>>
>> Any system view available via SQL and JMX.
>> It seems we should have METASTORAGE view instead of this option.
>>
>> P.S. Should we add some CMD interface for system views?
>>
>> [1] https://apacheignite.readme.io/docs/system-views
>>
>>>  3 сент. 2020 г., в 10:37, Nikolay Izhikov <nizhikov.dev@gmail.com>
написал(а):

>>>  Hello, Taras.

through generic cmd line interface.

>>>  With marker interface user have to wait for a new release to fix not published
property.
>>>  New release is a very long way for fixing one tiny configuration value.
>>>
>>>  Also, we shouldn’t hide anything from the administrator.
>>>
>>>  I’m sure that hiding any internals from our users is always a bad idea and
hides some issue in the codebase.
>>>  Let’s do it in Apache Way? :) - «Not restriction but common sense»
>>>
>>>  We can have some kind of `IgniteSystemProperty` with default read-only list
and description to it -
>>>  «User, you edit this properties fully on your own. We can’t predict results
of such kind of edits»
>>>  So user can fix this list manually.
>>>
>>>  WDYT?

through generic cmd line interface.
may have dependencies and require complex management not only set/get.

of the Ignite management interfaces at the moment.

‘implements SimpleDistributedPublicProperty’ for some property.

line and introduce common approach to manage distributed properties.

this class the property can be managed by command line.

a property by 'PublicProperty' and set of the new commands.