ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Taras Ledkov <tled...@gridgain.com>
Subject Re: Command line interface to manage distributed properties
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2020 07:21:05 GMT
Hi,

 >  Why do we want to restrict property management somehow?
I guess some properties (may be future properties) shouldn't be
published through generic cmd line interface.
May be its require separate more complex cmd line commands, some
properties may have dependencies and require complex management not only
set/get.
In this case we can use distributed property without publish one via
simpel cmd line interface.

On 03.09.2020 10:05, Nikolay Izhikov wrote:
> Hello, Taras.
>
> It a shame we don’t have a well-written guide for the development of the Ignite management
interfaces at the moment.
> For now, we have dozen of some management APIs - java, JMX, SQL, control.sh, visorcmd.sh,
REST

> I think we should support 3 manage interfaces for each new command:
>
> * CMD
> * JMX
> * SQL
>
> You can take as an example implementation of the `KILL` command [1]
>
>> If we create the instance of this class the property can be managed by command line.
> Why do we want to restrict property management somehow?
>
> This operation should be done by the administrator who knows what he or she does.
> I think we should provide a way to change any property value without any restriction
for admin.
> So our users don’t have to wait «one more release» with only change ‘implements
SimpleDistributedPublicProperty’ for some property.

> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=145724615
>
>> 2 сент. 2020 г., в 23:11, Taras Ledkov <tledkov@gridgain.com> написал(а):
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Motivation: we have to manage SQL distributed property by command line and introduce
common approach to manage distributed properties.
>> Issue: IGNITE-13186 (see [1])
>>
>> My proposal is:
>>
>> Property classes & DistributedConfigurationProcessor changes (see PR [2]):
>> - introduce PublicProperty interface and implements it at the PublicSimpleProperty;
>> - SimpleDistributedPublicProperty. If we create the instance of this class the property
can be managed by command line.

>> Command line interface:
>> --property list - prints list of the available properties with description, e.g.:
>>          sql.disabledFunctions : Disabled SQL functions
>>          sql.defaultQueryTimeout : Default query timeout
>> --property get --name <prop_name> - prints the property value
>> --property set --name <prop_name> --val <prop_value> - change the property
value.

>> Possible we have to add the command:
>> --property reset --name <prop_name> - reset property to default value.
>>
>> Please your comments.
>> Please pay your attention to concept & design of the publishing a property by
'PublicProperty' and set of the new commands.

--
Taras Ledkov