ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Valentin Kulichenko <valentin.kuliche...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom Affinity Functions proposed for removal?
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2020 08:53:52 GMT
Thanks, Raymond. So the reason why you couldn't use the @AffinityKeyMapped
annotation or the CacheKeyConfiguration is that collocation is based on
*two fields*, not just one field. Is my understanding correct?

If that's the case, I believe it can be easily improved by providing ways
to specify multiple fields for collocation. The fact that this scenario
requires a custom affinity mapper is a usability issue in my view.

-Val

On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 10:26 AM Raymond Wilson <raymond_wilson@trimble.com>
wrote:

& <y> can
> to reside in the same partition for processing colocation requirements then
> I can't use the standard Ignite mapping to do this, I need to use a custom
> mapper than uses just the <x> & <y> components.
>

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 1:33 AM Valentin Kulichenko <
> valentin.kulichenko@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Raymond,
> >
> > Thanks for the details. So it sounds like you have a custom affinity
> > mapper, not affinity function. This makes things simpler, but I'm still
> > failing to understand why standard mechanisms for collocation [1] didn't
> > work for you. Could you please clarify?
> >
> > [1]
> > https://ignite.apache.org/docs/latest/data-modeling/affinity-collocation
> >
> > -Val
> >
> > On Tue, Nov 3, 2020 at 12:25 AM Raymond Wilson <
> raymond_wilson@trimble.com
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > In terms of Key -> Partition -> Node mapping, we provide customer
> > affinity
> > > mappers for the Key -> Partition stage an allow Ignite to map
> partitions
> > > nodes.
> > >
> > > Our keys are structs with multiple fields forming a composite primary
> > key,
> > > parts of which are spatially identifying and parts contain other
> > > characteristics. We want to ensure all related spatial elements resolve
> > > the same partition and so will be placed on the same node for query
> > > colocation purposes.

> > > types
> affinity

> cause