ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Nikolay Izhikov <nizhi...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSSION] Array to BinaryObject serialization
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2021 13:31:13 GMT
Hello, Igniters.

Currently, binary marshaller works as follows(Say, we have a class `User` then):

IgniteBinary#toBinary(User)` -> BinaryObject
IgniteBinary#toBinary(User[])` -> Object[]
IgniteBinary#toBinary(Object[])` -> Object[]

This means, that we lose array component type information during binary serialization.
AFAIK, it’s a design choice made during binary infrastructure development.

This lead to the following disadvantages:

1. `IgniteBinary` can’t be used as a universal SerDe mechanism.
2. Ignite internals(service grid, .Net calls) contains many tweaks and hacks to deal with
custom user array and still has many issues [1]

I propose to make breaking changes and fix the custom user array SeDe as follows:

	1. Implement binary serialization that correctly Ser and Deser array using some kind of the
wrapper (BinaryArrayWrapper).

		IgniteBinary#toBinary(User)` -> BinaryObject
		IgniteBinary#toBinary(User[])` -> BinaryObject
		IgniteBinary#toBinary(Object[])` -> BinaryObject

	2. Introduce system flag `IGNITE_USE_BINARY_ARRAY` that enables correct SerDe of arrays.
The default value is false to keep backward compatibility in the next Ignite release(2.11).

	3. Set  `IGNITE_USE_BINARY_ARRAY` to `true` in the ongoing Ignite releases (2.12).

WDYT?