jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1511681 - in /jmeter/trunk: src/protocol/http/org/apache/jmeter/protocol/http/sampler/HTTPAbstractImpl.java xdocs/usermanual/component_reference.xml
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2013 14:00:15 GMT
On 9 August 2013 19:25, Milamber <milamber@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 09/08/2013 17:19, sebb a ecrit :

>>> Ok, in this case, perhaps, a (better?) solution is to provide a combo box
>>> allow the user to choice the source address field.
>>
>> I was trying to avoid increasing the complexity of the GUI.
>>
>> It's a fairly unusual use-case, so I took the view that the user would
>> not mind putting up with a slightly unusual syntax.
>>
>>> With the combo box, the user could use the common / usual name for their
>>> device (only eth0, wlan0, etc.), IP or hostname (short or fdqn)
>>>
>>> Here a screenshot of HTTP Request with some improvements for reduce the
>>> width screen size (font changes for the Optional panel and HTTP options)
>>> +
>>> the Src IP combo box.
>>> http://www.milamberspace.net/img/http-request-src-addr.png
>>
>> The IPv4/6 addr entries are ambiguous.
>> Do they apply only to devices?
>> I would hope so, otherwise existing test plans will break.
>> In which case, the entries need to be renamed.
>>
>> The field currently supports Hostname or IP address; it is important
>> that compatibilty is maintained.
>>
>> So the first entry should be for the Hostname/IP addr.
>> The entries need to be something like:
>>
>> Hostname/IP
>> Device
>> Device IPv4
>> Device IPv6
>>
>>> I can commit the UI changes for reduce the minimal width of the HTTP
>>> Request's pane,
>>
>> Although the GUI is roughly the same width, it is more complicated.
>

> I can reduce the font size (12 to 11 or 10) to reduce more the width for the
> http options.
> Or reduce the text (like removing the 2 "Use" word):
> [  ] Redirect Automatically [  ] Floww Redirects [  ] Use KeepAlive [  ] Use
> multipart/form-data for POST [  ] Browser-compatible headers
>

>>> and if your are agree the changes to add the combo box?
>>
>> I'm not convinced the change makes it easier for the user.
>> There would be two fields to configure instead of one.
>>
>> The fields should be enclosed in a box so that it is clear they are
>> related.
>> For example, as is done for Web Server & Timeouts.
>>
>> Maybe the "Embedded URLs must match" field should also have a border.
>

> Like this:
> http://www.milamberspace.net/img/http-request-src-addr-v2.png

Not quite.

Embedded URLs is also an optional task. Whether we still need that
heading or not is another matter.
But it's wrong to exclude them from the heading if it is present.

It's good to have all the embedded stuff in a single box.
But the source address and associated drop-down must also be in their own box.