jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graphite Listener
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2014 20:41:24 GMT
On 1 January 2014 20:28, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 8:04 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 1 January 2014 15:08, Philippe Mouawad <philippe.mouawad@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

<snip/>

>> Seems to me all this could be done by having a generic interface to
>> enable the raw results to be saved to whatever backend is required.
>>

> We could refactor code in the following way:
> - GraphiteListener => BackendListener
> - Introduce Backend Interface
> - Backend would be called in testStarted/testEnded and within the existing
> run() to send metrics
> - There would be a select box to select backend. Backend implementations
> would be searched within classpaths
> - Graphite part and PickleMetricsManager would be moved to Graphite Backend.
>
> We could after that add a JBDC Backend.

That sounds a lot better.

>> What I don't agree with is yet more code that is very specific to a
>> single 3rd party software solution.
>>
>> Whatever is added needs to be
>> - generally useful to the JMeter population. Niche requirements should
>> be met by 3rd party add-ons developed for the purpose.
>> - use a generic API, for example like JSR223, JDBC etc.
>>
>> I understand your wish but take the history of JMeter. At some time there
> was a need for custom scripting but no standard like BSF of JSR223.
> So you selected Beanshell . Once standard was introduced we moved to it.

Actually, I think BSF was available, but I did not know about it.

> I think we cannot wait for all standards to exist, for example if we take
> NoSQL Databases, it is hard to tell when a JDBC equivalent will be
> available, does it means we should
> wait until they are available ? I don't think so.

If there is no standard, then we need to look very carefully at what
JMeter needs as regards an API.
We should define an API to suit JMeter which can then be implemented
for specific NoSQL implementations.

It does not have to be a fully fledged NoSQL API - in fact it should
probably not reference NoSQL at all, but should allow the repository
to be JDBC as well.