jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java version check in jmeter script files - is it worth the maintenance effort?
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2015 22:32:30 GMT
On Monday, February 23, 2015, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 February 2015 at 19:57, Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > Am 23.02.2015 um 19:36 schrieb sebb:
> >>
> >> The Java version check in JMeter script files is somewhat fragile, and
> >> has to be maintained.
> >>
> >> Does it really provide enough benefit to keep it?
> >

> > IMHO currently there's no real necessity to remove it, or did you find
> > another problem with it? I suspect you ask, because there's always exotic
> > systems and writing portable shell scripts is a hard task and one can't
> > easily test them (because the platforms are not available).
>
> As I recall, the scripts have already had to be updated at least twice
> to fix bugs in the Java checks.
>
> The risk is that additional bugs still exist which may mean the script
> won't work on some other platform.
> Apart from the additional work needed, in the meantime the user may
> not be able to use JMeter.
>
> It seems unnecessary effort to maintain a feature of the scripts that
> is not required for proper operation of JMeter.
>
> As far as I can tell, the only benefit is that users who don't have
> the correct Java version on the path will get a nicer error message.
> However every time the script is used, there are 4 invocations of awk
> and one of "java -version".
> This is rather wasteful.

No opinion on this.

Seems to me that there are better ways to spend our time maintaining JMeter.

> > Since our requirements are very relaxed (Java 6), there's no big use in
> the
> > version check either. In most cases the condition will be fulfilled, so a
> > clear documentation statement should suffice. I think currently the info
> is
> > only on the download page and in the changelog. Maybe it could be added
> > the "a 100% pure Java application" sentence in the landing page and in
> the
> > intro page of the users manual without bloating that pages to much.
>
> Yes, that is a much better use of developer time.
> Could also document the errors that are produced if the wrong JVM is used.
>
> > So I'm fine with either keeping or removing the check, but I think we
> should
> > place the requirement a little bit more prominent in the docs in any
> case.
>
> Agreed.

Same opinion
I think anyway that command line options where this could be added should
be isolated in a dedicated page.
I always find myself searching for those.

New users should find easily:
- tool pre requisites
- command line options

--