jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java version check in jmeter script files - is it worth the maintenance effort?
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2015 21:51:14 GMT
On 23 February 2015 at 19:57, Rainer Jung <rainer.jung@kippdata.de> wrote:
> Am 23.02.2015 um 19:36 schrieb sebb:
>>
>> The Java version check in JMeter script files is somewhat fragile, and
>> has to be maintained.
>>
>> Does it really provide enough benefit to keep it?
>

> IMHO currently there's no real necessity to remove it, or did you find
> another problem with it? I suspect you ask, because there's always exotic
> systems and writing portable shell scripts is a hard task and one can't
> easily test them (because the platforms are not available).

As I recall, the scripts have already had to be updated at least twice
to fix bugs in the Java checks.

The risk is that additional bugs still exist which may mean the script
won't work on some other platform.
Apart from the additional work needed, in the meantime the user may
not be able to use JMeter.

It seems unnecessary effort to maintain a feature of the scripts that
is not required for proper operation of JMeter.

As far as I can tell, the only benefit is that users who don't have
the correct Java version on the path will get a nicer error message.
However every time the script is used, there are 4 invocations of awk
and one of "java -version".
This is rather wasteful.

Seems to me that there are better ways to spend our time maintaining JMeter.

> Since our requirements are very relaxed (Java 6), there's no big use in the
> version check either. In most cases the condition will be fulfilled, so a
> clear documentation statement should suffice. I think currently the info is
> only on the download page and in the changelog. Maybe it could be added to
> the "a 100% pure Java application" sentence in the landing page and in the
> intro page of the users manual without bloating that pages to much.

Yes, that is a much better use of developer time.
Could also document the errors that are produced if the wrong JVM is used.

> So I'm fine with either keeping or removing the check, but I think we should
> place the requirement a little bit more prominent in the docs in any case.

Agreed.