jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Comparison of menu font sizes
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2015 01:05:45 GMT
On 16 March 2015 at 20:56, Felix Schumacher
<felix.schumacher@internetallee.de> wrote:
> Am 14.03.2015 um 16:35 schrieb sebb:
>>
>> I have created some quick test sites to show how the JMeter index page
>> looks with various different menu font sizes.
>>
>> http://jmeter.apache.org/ - original, i.e. 100%
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter90/ - 90%
>> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter85/ - 85%
>> http://people.apache.org/~sebb/jmeter80/ - 80%
>>

>> On my desktop, the 80% size is perhaps starting to get a bit too small
>> in comparison with the body text, but 100% is definitely too big.
>
> In my version on p.a.o/~fschumacher/jmeter I already set the menu font to
> 90%.
>
> What do you want with the smaller versions? In my tests with ~1300x800 we
> only get a line or two more. That could be achieved with less gaps between
> the boxes also.

It's partly to improve the balance between the sizes so the menu does
not overpower the body text.

Also it allows the menu to be narrower leaving more room for body text
on smaller screens.

On revisiting the 90% examples I still think that is a bit too big
compared with the body text.

> We don't have to have boxes around the menu items it was just an example.
>
> We could even put the menu as a flat one to the top of the page (can be seen
> in my version, if you use a resolution from 600 to 1000 pixel wide.

That works well for narrower screens; I'm not sure I like it for wider
screens as one cannot see the second level contents at a glance.

>> It's much the same on a Hudl2 tablet (landscape mode).
>>

>> If the menu text size can be reduced, then the layout can be adjusted
>> to give more space to the body text. I have not done that in the
>> samples.
>
> If you mean to widen the main text, then I like to point out, that wider
> text lines tend to be harder to read. That is the reason, why I put a
> max-width of 60em. We could probably add a few em's, if you like. But not
> too much (in my eyes).

It would help if the design decisions were documented in the CSS file
as comments.