jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From "Rory O'Donnell" <rory.odonn...@oracle.com>
Subject Apache-jmeter dependencies on JDK-Internal APIs
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2015 14:33:09 GMT
Hi Philippe,

I believe we checked an older version of Apache jmeter for dependencies
on JDK-Internal APIs.
Below are instructions on how to check for yourself.

Rgds,Rory

As part of the preparations for JDK 9, Oracle’s engineers have been
analyzing open source projects like yours to understand usage. One area
of concern involves identifying compatibility problems, such as reliance
on JDK-internal APIs.

Our engineers have already prepared guidance on migrating some of the
more common usage patterns of JDK-internal APIs to supported public
interfaces.  The list is on the OpenJDK wiki [0].

As part of the ongoing development of JDK 9, I would like to inquire
about your usage of  JDK-internal APIs and to encourage migration
towards supported Java APIs if necessary.

The first step is to identify if your application(s) is leveraging
internal APIs.

/Step 1: Download JDeps. /

    Just download a preview release of JDK8(JDeps Download
    <https://jdk8.java.net/download.html>). You do not need to actually
    test or run your application on JDK8. JDeps(Docs
    <http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/tools/unix/jdeps.html>)
    looks through JAR files and identifies which JAR files use internal
    APIs and then lists those APIs.

/Step 2: To run JDeps against an application/. The command looks like:

    jdk8/bin/jdeps -P -jdkinternals *.jar > your-application.jdeps.txt

    The output inside your-application.jdeps.txt will look like:

    your.package (Filename.jar)
           -> com.sun.corba.se            JDK internal API (rt.jar)

_3rd party library using Internal APIs:_
If your analysis uncovers a third-party component that you rely on, you
can contact the provider and let them know of the upcoming changes. You
can then either work with the provider to get an updated library that
won't rely on Internal APIs, or you can find an alternative provider for
the capabilities that the offending library provides.

_Dynamic use of Internal APIs:_
JDeps can not detect dynamic use of internal APIs, for example through
reflection, service loaders and similar mechanisms.

[0] https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/JDK8/Java+Dependency+Analysis+Tool

--
Rgds,Rory O'Donnell
Quality Engineering Manager