jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: Documentation and more
Date Sat, 10 Oct 2015 11:41:40 GMT
Am 06.10.2015 um 10:36 schrieb sebb:
> On 5 October 2015 at 21:12, Felix Schumacher
> <felix.schumacher@internetallee.de> wrote:
>> Am 05.10.2015 um 17:18 schrieb sebb:

>>> For which many thanks.

>>> OK, so long as the JS library has a compatible license.

>>> Not sure I know what that means.
>> You can see an example at
>> http://people.apache.org/~fschumacher/jmeter/usermanual/doc-writers.html
> I see.
Do you think we should include such markup?

>> And by the way, do you think such a page would be useful? And if so, where
>> should it be located?
> We should document the tags that are being used.
> It's a developer resource, and doesn't belong in the user manual.
> We probably need to expand the online website to include more
> developer-centric materials.
Any preference on the location? (Documentation, Community?)

>>> OK

>>> Potentially, yes it might be a problem.
>>> Raise a LEGAL JIRA with specific proposals.
>> Will try to.

>>> There should be editable sources for the PDF files, e.g. in ODF format.
>>> No need to convert to XML (which would likely be much harder to maintain).
>> It is not the editable source I am after. I think it is nicer to read on
>> browsers, that have no pdf reader embedded.
> I see.
>
>> The documents seem to be pretty standard layout, so they should not loose
>> anything when converted to standard doc html. The maintainance is a point,
>> but a minor one in my eyes.
> Will they still be printable?
> They need to be usable off-line as well.
Have you tried to look at the print layout of the current trunk docs?
With the last changes they are at least as good as the printable version
(at least in my eyes and when printed with a modern browser :).

>>> Yes, they are used for off-line documentation.
>>> We should not expect users to have to go online for the documentation.
>> I always looked at the documentation in the docs folder.
> The standard binary dist only only includes the printable-docs folder.
> (There are a few files under docs, but no html except under docs/api).
>
> I expect you are looking at your development workspace.
You are right.

>> If the printable
>> one is the preferred one, we should look at the colors at least.
> Fine to tweak the colours.
>
> But it would be wrong to use the website for offline browsing; the two
> serve different purposes.
I would like to get the stylesheets to get closer for those two
versions. Therefore I would like to get to a table less version, or even
use the same stylesheets with a parameterized run.

>>> We need to keep offline docs.
>> That's right. I think offline docs are really useful.
> Which is what the printable-docs are intended for.

>>> The website pages have menus that are not useful for offline browsing.
>> For me the question is, do they hurt so much, that we have to maintain two
>> versions of the docs?
And besides, the menu is not printed with the current version. Also, I
missed the menu while browsing the offline version.

Regards,
  Felix