jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: Usage of final methods in newly added report package
Date Tue, 22 Dec 2015 09:17:00 GMT
Am 20.12.2015 um 14:14 schrieb sebb:
> On 20 December 2015 at 10:52, Felix Schumacher
> <felix.schumacher@internetallee.de> wrote:
>> Am 13.12.2015 um 14:11 schrieb Philippe Mouawad:
>>> Hi Felix,
>>> Do you have an example where it does not seem justified ?
>> I wondered why they were (and sometimes were not) used.
>>
>> I stumbled upon the usage (or non usage) of final when looking at a findbugs
>> report on CsvSampleWriter. That class uses a overridable method setWriter
>> from its constructor, which findbugs finds "scary".
>>
>> In other classes I found a few methods declared final and other not, without
>> a documentation, why those final classes are closed for further inheritance
>> and the others not.
>>
>> I haven't looked, whether they were justified or not, I was just curious.
> Final is required in some cases, e.g. methods called from constructor
> (*) or parameter passed to nested class.
>
> It is also potentially useful as a way of documenting that an item is
> not intended to be altered (although of course that doesn't stop a
> mutable object from being changed). This can be helpful when trying to
> follow code.
Right, but I think this usage of final should be documented in the class
or methods.

> Some people like to make everything possible final; I think that can
> be distracting.
It looked just a bit random to me. All in all I tend to find, that
making parameters final is a good idea (does only local harm), but
making methods final should be done with documentation (is a design
decision for the possible inheritance usages of the class).

Regards,
  Felix