jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Remaining Work before Release of 3.0
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2016 15:29:28 GMT
On 4 March 2016 at 10:38, Mark Collin <mark.collin@lazeryattack.com> wrote:
> If the JMeter devs want to put it in core I have no issue with that, however the plugin
is a maven project an I don’t think maven projects are wanted in JMeter core :)

JMeter does not use Maven as its build tool.
It would be a major effort to convert to Maven, so it's not going to
be done just in order to support a Maven plugin.
If indeed it is ever done (but that is another discussion).

However the plugin clearly does not have to be part of the same source
tree / build process as JMeter (it's not currently).
I think it is better for it to have an entirely separate release
process, as it is not only affected by the JMeter version.
It's going to be far more dependent on Maven changes.

Whether or not it is sensible for the JMeter project to own / maintain
the code is another matter.
I think not, because JMeter is usable with lots of other build / test
tools, and is usable stand-alone.

It does not make sense for the JMeter project to maintain plugins for
all the possible tools.
If we take on a Maven plugin, then how about Groovy, Jenkins,
Buildbot, Gradle etc?
This does not scale. Furthermore, the code most needs Maven developer
expertise, not JMeter expertise.

> The website is down at the moment, it’s in the process of being moved over to github.io.
(I should probably update the README to note that)