jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From "Epp, Jeremiah W (Contractor)" <j...@cas.org>
Subject RE: JMeter JMX file format
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2016 19:33:13 GMT

Okay, egg on my face.  Somehow I never actually noticed the version="1.2"
and properties="1.8" attributes on the <jmeterTestPlan>.

Though it's true that it NEEDS to be changed when the format changes or it's
somewhat meaningless. (For example it probably should have changed some time
between 2.8 and 2.13 because I'm pretty sure we found a break in there.)

> However JMeter uses XStream to serialise the classes that form the nodes,
> so the format is defined by that.

Oh god, it really does work exactly like I thought it did.  It is quite
literally implementation defined.  No wonder it's such a horrible mess.

> config files to define shorthand aliases to reduce the file size.

Interesting. Doc link?

> Otherwise of course the source code is available.

Source code is not documentation.

Especially _that_ code.  I actually _tried_ to figure out what the hell was
happening in SaveService at a few points and it's not easy reading.

>> In my mind, this is the major motivation for a test plan DSL: retain
>> support for the "legacy" JMX as much as possible (read and write), but
>> otherwise have a clean break that lets the project move forward sanely.
>
> I'm not sure how you can do that unless the DSL generates JMX.

What?  I think implementing a DSL sort of implies there will be an
interpreter for it...

Cheers,
Wyatt

Confidentiality Notice: This electronic message transmission, including any attachment(s),
may contain confidential, proprietary, or privileged information from Chemical Abstracts Service
("CAS"), a division of the American Chemical Society ("ACS"). If you have received this transmission
in error, be advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of
this information is strictly prohibited. Please destroy all copies of the message and contact
the sender immediately by either replying to this message or calling 614-447-3600.