jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PR221 : Guava or concurrentlinkedhashmap or Caffeine after Java8 migration
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2016 21:43:52 GMT
On Wednesday, August 10, 2016, Vladimir Sitnikov <
sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:

> >Should we migrate to Java 8 and then use https://github.com/ben-manes/
> > caffeine
>
> +1 from me.
>
> >Should we migrate to Java 8
>
> That is +1 as well.
>
> >Should we introduce guava
>
> That would get -1 from me.
> The reasoning is: guava from plugins might interfere with guava from jmeter
> core, thus it might induce jar hell.

JMeter is core, although we should take into account the eco-system, I
don't see why we should block ourselves from using a library because some
plugin may in the future use it ?

> Caffeine (and CLHM) serve just a single purpose, so it will much less
> likely to cause compatibility issues (if that library is ever used by
> plugins).
>
> >Introduce guava in shaded mode (that is rename guava packages to
> org.apache.jmeter.core.shaded.guava...

This could be done by plugins also.
But if you want to contribute it why not.

> That would get +0 from me.
> It is safe from "jar hell issues", however, it is not clear what is the net
> win.
> Are there lots of features that are missing in java 8?

I am not a guava expert, you seem to be.
Why not show here that guava brings nothing if java 8 is introduced ?

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.