jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <pmoua...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About modernity of our mailing list and its impact on the project
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2019 19:53:31 GMT
On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 9:34 PM Vladimir Sitnikov <
sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:

> >- Need to subscribe in a not very simple way
>
> It might be a reasonable price.
> Remember, you can't ask a question on StackOverflow without registration.

Yes but registration on SO is very usual, registration to mailing list is
less usual nowadays.
I've seen many junior developers fail registering, because as usual, the 2
pages are not read :-)
So as a first step, maybe we can make it less verbose and only have 1 page
instead of 2.
But it's not the main problem

> >   - Images and attachments forbidden making very frequently the question
> >   unusable and requiring user to use a 3rd party service to attach his
> >   documents
>
> Can attachments be allowed?

I don't know. But AFAIK, every time people attach files or screenshot to
our mailing list and we get nothing, so we need to ask again and use 3rd
parties

> Here's my recent mail to dev@maven.apache.org that includes an attachment:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a613ac8884e857208b5ac1dda288c8c43c03631edd4aabd58236a20d@%3Cdev.maven.apache.org%3E
>
> >- that's something that could be improved ?
>
> I don't see how Google Group would improve things.
> StackOverflow seems to be already there.

Well looking at traffic, it seems it does.
You can attach images, files and registration is done through your G.
account.

> Slack requires registration on a "per group" level, and it does not sound
> to be very productive to have a separate window for JMeter slack.
> Most of the times it would be closed as I already have 7 other Slack
> windows.

> It might be not completely related, but I would say that Bugzilla is kind
> of odd.
> In my experience, 99% of the cases I use Bugzilla are related to JMeter.
> It does allow to attach images/files, however the UI is kind of weird,
> there's no preview for images, and the formatting for messages is not
> there.

It's true it looks old, but it does the job .
Would JIRA be better, I find ASF one very very slow.

> On the other hand, issue tracker is not a place for asking questions.

Yes and we always direct to mailing list.