jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release JMeter 5.2 RC4
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2019 14:44:52 GMT

Am 23.10.19 um 15:12 schrieb Vladimir Sitnikov:
>> I already use the Oracle Java 8 to build the releases (RC4 include)
> Well. By "Require release manager" I mean **every** release manager.
> For instance, I have not purchased Java license from Oracle. Does that mean
> I must buy one in order to be the release manager?
You don't have to buy a license to use the last openly available JDK 8
from Oracle. But it might be difficult to download it. (I found a link
to the archive under the FAQ from the download for Java 8.
https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html )

> The next question is what if someone downloads JMeter sources and tries to
> build it?
That depends -- as earlier -- on the version of used Java. At the moment
you will only get a working JavaFX control, if you use Oracle JDK 8
(plus the parameter).
> Does that mean they must use Oracle Java?
No (if they are not interested in that special control)
> Does that mean they should get build failure when using builds like
> AdoptOpenJDK?
No (it didn't with the ant build -- I think we checked for a JavaFX
class on the classpath to decide whether we should compile it)

> The current implementation is "JavaFX opt-in".

At the moment I tend to include it on building the release, but I have
sympathy with your arguments, that JavaFX is really difficult to use at
build/run time.

I am less sure with every time we are talking about it, that it is
valuable enough to keep the feature.

But if we drop it now from the release, we should mention it in the
change logs and hope that someone comes up with an alternative, that we
can include some day.

Felix