jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From UBIK LOAD PACK Support <supp...@ubikloadpack.com>
Subject Re: Contribute a Dockerfile for JMeter
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2019 15:30:59 GMT
Hello Brian,

This docker image is indeed what you describe and is not intended to ease
distributed testing for now.
Note you can very well run distributed testing without using jmeter-server
as remote testing has a serialization/deserialization cost that is not
negligible. Of course you would have to build your own aggregation system
for metrics.

Let's enumerate few use cases (not exhaustive) for the proposed docker
image:

   - Rapid setup of JMeter for scripting
   - Use in a CI/CD system where running docker images is provided OOTB
   (Azure DevOps (
   https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/pipelines/tasks/build/docker-compose?view=azure-devops)
   , https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/docker/)
   - Load testing from a single machine with docker installed, depending on
   configuration you can easily go to 1000 to 5000 Virtual users

What you propose can be a second step, I guess you have approaches like
this in mind:

   -
   https://eleanordare.com/blog/2017/6/14/using-a-jenkins-pipeline-to-run-jmeter-tests-in-openshift
   -
   https://blog.kubernauts.io/load-testing-as-a-service-with-jmeter-on-kubernetes-fc5288bb0c8b
   - https://medium.com/@vepo/dockerized-jmeter-84228733e306
   -
   https://www.testautomationguru.com/jmeter-distributed-load-testing-using-docker/

Of course , feel free to make a PR on our repo or at JMeter one if you have
better ideas.

Regards