jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Philippe Mouawad <philippe.moua...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Release 5.3
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2020 10:24:36 GMT
Hello,
PR has been merged but version is not released yet.

See my answers inline below.
Regards

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 10:57 AM Vladimir Sitnikov <
sitnikov.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:

> >3) What about upgrade to groovy ? Do we skip it for this release ?
>
> Let's update to Groovy 3.
>
> >2) I upgraded some dependencies, but github is facing an incident so we
> >didn't get the mail
>
> Thanks.
>
> I suggest we stop adding lines like "Updated equalsverifier to 3.1.9 (from
> 3.1.12)" to changes.xml.
>
> The reasoning is as follows:
> 1) There are build-only dependencies, and there are runtime dependencies.
> For instance, JMeter binary artifacts do not include equalsverifier jar.
> What does "updated equalsverifier" tell the end-users?

I agree

> 2) It is hard to predict which transitive versions will be updated
>
> That is why I think we should update version diff just before the release.

It can help to do it before.
You might have a bug triggered with some updates of libs like HTTPClient,
Jodd, JSOUP...

> I'm not sure if we should add test-only dependencies update to changes.xml
> If we add them, the changes should probably go into a dedicated section
> (e.g. build/test changes).

I agree

> Vladimir

But we should clearly state all updates to non test libraries we do. As
client of other libraries I am very frustrated by limited release notes.

Regarding Auto Correlation feature, an alternative would be to manage 2
versions:

   - 5.3 without it because it touches some core classes so it can impact
   other features.
   - 6.0-alpha or beta

HttpClient does this, I don't know if it's sucessful.

As a potential user, If I need auto correlation I would take the risk to
use alpha for example.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.