jmeter-dev mailing list archives

From Felix Schumacher <felix.schumac...@internetallee.de>
Subject Re: Setting better defaults for HTTP request
Date Sun, 20 Dec 2020 11:11:36 GMT
Am Samstag, den 19.12.2020, 17:10 +0100 schrieb Philippe Mouawad:
> Hello
>
> Currently we don't set neither connect nor read timeout which means
> they
> default to infinite.
> I don't think those are good defaults and users frequently think
> JMeter is
> hanging.
>
> Shouldn't we set better defaults ?
>
> - Connect  to 10s
> - Read to 60s

I generally like the idea of setting a default timeout, as infinity is
a long time to wait for. The times are great, if you know, that
timeouts are set, but what about the old settings, where the plan
didn't take those into account?

I think we can be a bit more generous on those timeouts, especially for
the read timeout. For a non-interactive site, those might be a bit
short.

In my firefox's about:config the values for connection and response
timeout are 90 s and 300 s respectively. (I took
network.http.connection-timeout and network.http.response.timeout)

I think those values should be conservative enough for most of our
users.

Felix