kafka-users mailing list archives

From Ian Friedman <...@flurry.com>
Subject Partitions per topic per broker?
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 18:29:33 GMT
Hi guys, apologies in advance for the newb question:

I am running a 3 broker setup, and I have a topic configured with 100 partitions in the broker
config. But I've noticed that what seems to happen is that each broker gets 100 partitions
and it looks kind of like this in the consumer logs: 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, ... 1-99, 2-0, 2-1...
etc. So the topic actually has 300 partitions, 100 per broker? Why? How does this work with
the random partitioning scheme? I don't really understand the design behind this and my reading
of the documentation hasn't seemed to turn up anything (though it's entirely possible I missed
it).

Thanks in advance!

--
Ian Friedman