kafka-users mailing list archives

From "Philip O'Toole" <phi...@loggly.com>
Subject Re: Partitions per topic per broker?
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2013 19:52:43 GMT
You set the partition-count to 100 per broker. 3 brokers. 300 partitions total.

Philip

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM, Ian Friedman <ian@flurry.com> wrote:
> Hi guys, apologies in advance for the newb question:
>
> I am running a 3 broker setup, and I have a topic configured with 100 partitions in the
broker config. But I've noticed that what seems to happen is that each broker gets 100 partitions
and it looks kind of like this in the consumer logs: 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, ... 1-99, 2-0, 2-1...
etc. So the topic actually has 300 partitions, 100 per broker? Why? How does this work with
the random partitioning scheme? I don't really understand the design behind this and my reading
of the documentation hasn't seemed to turn up anything (though it's entirely possible I missed
it).