kafka-users mailing list archives

From Joris Peeters <j.peet...@wintoncapital.com>
Subject Competing customers
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2015 16:49:45 GMT
I imagine this has been asked before, but I have googled around quite a bit and can't really
find a clear answer. Apologies in advance, though ..

I'm interested in Kafka setups that allow for competing customers. I'll have one topic where
a lot of messages get published to, and I'd like to be able to (dynamically, eventually) fire
up services to take messages of the queue and process them. Obviously, I'd expect each of
the services to see consume only a subset of the messages.

Do I understand correctly that I would need multiple partitions for this? I've been messing
around a bit with a one topic/one partition setup, but all consumers receive the same (and
total amount of) messages.

Do all the clients support this? I've currently got the option between C#, Java and Python,
more or less. (I expect the Java one to be most feature-complete).

Thanks!

Joris Peeters
Developer

Research and Data Technology
T:

+44 (0) 20 8576 5800

Winton
Grove House
27 Hammersmith Grove
London W6 0NE

wintoncapital.com<http://www.wintoncapital.com/>

[cid:image002.jpg@01D0E670.EAC418F0]<http://www.wintoncapital.com/>

Winton Capital Management Limited ("Winton") is a limited company registered in England and
Wales with its registered offices at 16 Old Bailey, London, EC4M 7EG (Registered Company No.
3311531). Winton is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in the United
Kingdom, registered as an investment adviser with the US Securities and Exchange Commission,
registered with the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission and a member of the National Futures
Association in the United States.

This communication, including any attachments, is confidential and may be privileged. This
email is for use by the intended recipient only. If you receive it in error, please notify
the sender and delete it. You should not copy or disclose all or any part of this email.

This email does not constitute an offer or solicitation and nothing contained in this email
constitutes, and should not be construed as, investment advice. Prospective investors should
request offering materials and consult their own advisers with respect to investment decisions
and inform themselves as to applicable legal requirements, exchange control regulations and
taxes in the countries of their citizenship, residence or domicile. Past performance is not
indicative of future results.

Winton takes reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy and integrity of its communications,
including emails. However Winton accepts no liability for any materials transmitted. Emails
are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to be error free.