kafka-users mailing list archives

From Joe San <codeintheo...@gmail.com>
Subject Apache Kafka Topic Design
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2016 07:47:22 GMT
Dear Kafka Users,

I have been experimenting with Kafka and I'm currently trying to come up
with a design for the set of topics that we would need for our use case.

We are reading a set of signals from a device and we would be having a set
of those device. Say, we have device1, device2 and so on with each device
having a list of signals that we read and write. My initial idea is to have
one topic per device and within this topic, I create n partitions where
each partition would correspond to one signal. I soon realized that this is
a doomed approach. Is there a better way to model my topic so that I could
guarantee replication and high throughput and scale if I need to add 10,000
of those devices? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Joe