kafka-users mailing list archives

From Ewen Cheslack-Postava <e...@confluent.io>
Subject Re: Expected client producer/consumer CPU utilization when idle
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2016 06:11:50 GMT
If completely idle, producers shouldn't need to do anything beyond very
infrequent metadata updates (once ever few minutes). Consumers, however,
will have some ongoing work -- they will always issues fetch requests (to
get more data) and heartbeats (to indicate they are still alive). But these
shouldn't create a ton of overhead since each only needs a small amount of
work every few seconds if there's no data flowing.

Note that the setting you mention as not default (fetch.min.bytes) is, in
fact, the default value of 1.

If you're concerned about the CPU usage, I'd suggest running your processes
under a profiler for a bit to determine where the CPU time is going.

-Ewen

--
Thanks,
Ewen