kafka-users mailing list archives

From Avi Flax <avi.f...@parkassist.com>
Subject Consumers in the same group but consuming different topics?
Date Thu, 15 Dec 2016 16:24:35 GMT
I’m trying to debug something about a Kafka Streams app, and it would be helpful to me to
start up a new instance of the app that’s only consuming from a subset of the topics from
which this app consumes. I’m hesitating though because I don’t know if the consumer group
scheme will support this scenario, or if it’ll screw something up.

So: can I run consumer A on machine A, consuming from topics 1,2,3, and consumer B on machine
B, consuming from topics 4,5,6, but have both consumers be in the same group? I know this
sounds silly and is counter to the whole point of consumer groups, but it’d just be temporary,
and just for debugging — I need to observe the log output of a consumer instance when it’s
consuming from a specific set of topics, and this seems like one way to do that. Would this
break anything though?

Thanks!
Avi

————