kafka-users mailing list archives

From Paweł Gontarz <pgont...@powerspace.com>
Subject Failed to rebalance
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2019 12:43:33 GMT
Hey all,

I have seen already in archive an email concerning this, but as a solution
it has been said to upgrade kafka version to 2.1. In my case, kafka is
already up to date.

NOTE: Issue is on since this morning.
Specifying the problem, I'm running two kafka-streams stateful
applications. From the very beginning of the app lifecycle, instances
struggle to reassign correctly partitions between them which eventually
leads them to

 org.apache.kafka.streams.errors.StreamsException: stream-thread
> [pws-budget-streams-client-mapper-StreamThread-13] Failed to rebalance.

Due to

Caused by: org.apache.kafka.common.errors.TimeoutException: Timeout expired
> while initializing transactional state in 60000ms.

In the same time I'm observing a big lag on 2 partitions of the topic which
my streams are consuming.
The issue had started just this morning, whereas applications are for
already 1 month running without issues.

One thing I did before it, was the reassignment of this two partitions to
different nodes. Why? To fight over CPU consumption on one of our brokers
(it wasn't balanced evenly).

I have no clue if it has anything to do with problems on kafka-streams,
though.

Anyone encountered similar problems?

Cheers,
Paweł