kafka-users mailing list archives

From Anindya Haldar <anindya.hal...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: producer transaction and threading model
Date Thu, 14 Nov 2019 19:17:36 GMT
Thanks for the information. Does that mean that each producer thread, in case it wants to have
its own transactions, should use its own instance of KafkaProducer?

Sincerely,
Anindya Haldar
Oracle Responsys

> On Nov 13, 2019, at 11:31 PM, Matthias J. Sax <matthias@confluent.io> wrote:
>
> That is not possible. A producer can only have a single open
> transaction. If your example, the call of thread-2 to start a new
> transactions would fail and an exception would be thrown.
>
> -Matthias
>
> On 11/13/19 10:52 AM, Anindya Haldar wrote:
>> The producer API doc (https://kafka.apache.org/23/javadoc/index.html?org/apache/kafka/clients/producer/KafkaProducer.html
<https://kafka.apache.org/23/javadoc/index.html?org/apache/kafka/clients/producer/KafkaProducer.html>)
says that KafkaProducer is thread safe.

>> What I was trying to figure out is what the relationship is between a thread context
and a transaction initiated in that thread. When multiple threads are using a single producer
instance and initiating transactions are those transaction boundaries scoped to the thread
context, or do they step on each others’ toes?

>> Suppose two threads are sharing the same producer instance the following way:
>>
>>    thread-1 begins a transaction T1
>>    thread-1 starts sending messages in T!
>>    thread-2 begins a transaction T2
>>    thread-2 sends some messages in T2
>>    thread-2 gets and error and rolls back its transaction T2
>>
>> At this point does the rollback of transaction T2 by the thread-2 affect the transaction
T1 remaining open and used by thread-1 in any fashion? It is not clear to me from the API
documentation. Will very much appreciate some insights into the behavior here. Similar questions
also arise for commits by threads independently of each other.