kafka-users mailing list archives

From Peter Bukowinski <pmb...@gmail.com>
Subject Intended behavior when a broker loses its log volume
Date Sun, 11 Oct 2020 19:34:32 GMT
Greeting, all.

What is the expected behavior of a broker when it loses its only configured data log directory?

I’m running kafka 2.2.1 in aws and we had an outage caused by the loss of an attached volume
on one of the brokers. The broker did not relinquish leadership of its topic partitions when
this occurred, so it caused an outage that was only mitigated after we restarted the broker,
forcing leadership changes. I run kafka on bare metal with JBOD data dirs, and losing a disk
in those clusters does not cause an outage.

I’m curious what I should expect with only one storage location per broker.

—
Peter Bukowinski