kafka-users mailing list archives

From lk gen <lkge...@gmail.com>
Subject Default value of fetch.max.wait.ms and CPU usage
Date Sun, 10 Jan 2021 12:33:57 GMT
Hi,

  I noticed that the default value for consumer config property
fetch.max.wait.ms is 500 ms

  This causes attempts to connect to kafka every 500ms even when there is
no data, this can affect the CPU usage if many different services are
connecting to Kafka from the same machine, even if there is no data, the
polling will happen frequently for all services consumers, and as a result,
the CPU usage will increase

  I am considering changing this configuration to 20000 ms for these
services along with fetch.min.bytes=1, and want to know
1. Why is the default set to 500 ms ?
2. Can there be a problem with setting this value to 20000 ms ?
3. Will the higher fetch wait time have a negative influence on the data
fetching speed or Kafka broker ?

Thanks