kafka-users mailing list archives

From Dimos Raptis <dimos.rap...@r3.com.INVALID>
Subject Logic for selection of advertised listener
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2021 12:40:31 GMT
Hello,

I’ve been trying to understand the logic used to select one of the multiple advertised listeners
(advertised.listeners) when connecting to a broker, but I couldn’t find a resource that
explains exactly how it works.

In terms of inter broker communication, I believe this is done based on the value of the config
option inter.broker.listener.name, i.e. the broker selects the listener that has the same
name as the value of this option (right?).

However, it’s not completely clear how does a client select amongst all the advertised listeners
for each of the brokers of a cluster. Does it just attempt to connect to all of them or is
there some logic that defines which one will be selected?
Can you please explain? If there’s also any resource/docs that explains the mechanics of
this, let me know.

Thanks,
Dimos

R3 is committed to ensuring the security and protection of the personal data that we process,
and to provide a compliant and consistent approach to data protection. Any personal data that
is shared as part of any email correspondence with R3 shall be processed in line with the
R3 Privacy Policy<https://www.r3.com/full-privacy-policy/>