karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Ɓukasz Dywicki <l...@code-house.org>
Subject Switch to Java 1.6?
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2011 22:08:49 GMT
Hi all,

Some time ago I created issue KARAF-328 which is sticky card about JVM
version policy.

Now I am a bit confused because I would like get rid XML parsing from
feature service and switch it to JAXB while working on KARAF-53. I know that
build is made on JVM 1.5 and this change will broke capability with older
virtual machines. I wouldn't force anyone to upgrade but moving to new JVM
version can simplify our life a bit. :-)

Note that CXF, ActiveMQ and Camel works with Java 1.5. We have JRE 1.5 and
JRE 1.6 profiles in jre.properties. From my point of view it is not a
problem to stay with 1.5 but if it make sense to stay with version which is
supported only if you pay Oracle for? As another note - JVM 1.5 was released
in May 2004 and it is 6 year old. What do you think about that?

Best regards,

Lukasz