karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Pieber <anpie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Switch to Java 1.6?
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 03:08:05 GMT
Yep, I'm completely of your opinion belonging the 2.2.x JDK releases.

But I think 2.3.x wouldn't be enough. I'm afraid that industry will
demand feature releases of karaf for at least another year or two and
a 2.3.x line for jdk6 will prevent us from doing feature releases
based on jdk5; a 3.x line wouldn't.

2011/1/5 Jamie G. <jamie.goodyear@gmail.com>:
> Perhaps a 2.3.x line? Departing from JDK 1.5 support would represent
> enough of a change IMHO to require some sort of higher version number
> change. I'm not too much of a fan of having separate  2.2.x JDK 1.5+
> and JDK 1.6+ kits... would just lead to confusion in deployment and
> debugging.
>
> 2011/1/4 Andreas Pieber <anpieber@gmail.com>:
>> Actually I think we should name it karaf-2.x.x, but otherwise yes. At
>> least I would prefer this solution compared to a jdk6-branch since
>> 3.0.0 will allow us more freedom from a logical point of view (IMHO)
>>
>> kind regards,
>> andreas
>>
>> 2011/1/5 Jamie G. <jamie.goodyear@gmail.com>:
>>> So just to be clear, you are proposing we branch our current mainline
>>> to 2.2.x and then have main become 3.0.x (which will JDK 1.6 going
>>> forward)?

JVM