karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: KAR feature not doing what the docs say it should
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 07:13:57 GMT
Hi Guillaume,

I'm agree to change/deprecate the plugin.

I just explain how it should behave currently :)

Regards
JB

On 03/02/2011 08:12 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 08:09, David Jencks<david_jencks@yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> I'm trying to understand why you want to maintain a features.xml by hand so that
the versions in it will differ from those in your maven project rather than generating the
features.xml from your maven project so the versions will match up.

>> I agree with KARAF-459 to the extent that if we keep the archive-kar goal it should
use more info from the supplied features.xml.  I am arguing that we should not keep it.  Why
is it a good idea to encourage people to get their dependencies out of sync?

>> If you convince me this is a good idea :-) then I think making the kar packaging
so it can start with a (possibly partial) features.xml, add maven dependencies to it, and
put all the resulting dependencies into the generated kar would be a good idea.  I think this
would solve KARAF-459?

>> I don't know what the add-features-to-repo goal does yet so I'm not sure if I think
it's useful :-)

> This goal is the one we used in the ServiceMix assemblies to download
> the bundles listed in a certain set of features and add them to the
> system folder so that we can repackage an assembly containing karaf +
> features.  So it pre-dates the work you've done.
>
> I kinda agree with you that I'm not sure what the value is for keeping
> our old plugins, they are already maintained in 2.1.x and 2.2.x
> branches, so 3.0.x is the right place to do the change.
>

>> thanks
>> david jencks
>>
>> On Mar 1, 2011, at 10:34 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure to follow you.
>>>
>>> The kar goal is exactly as the add-features-to-repo goal: you start from a features
descriptor (that you wrote by hand) and the goal package the descriptor and the bundles/dependencies
into a repo (kar or local).

>>> Regards
>>> JB

in the features.xml which you are presumably maintaining by hand from those in your maven
poms.  I consider that a non-starter.

in the first place.  At the same time you can construct the kar, including (some of) the dependencies.

you simply define the features what you want to embed in the Kar and the plugin is responsible
to download and embed all bundle dependencies.

and it manages transitive dependencies to others features.

the kar packaging which generates both the features.xml and the kar from the maven dependencies.

and package the features descriptor and the related bundle into a kar archive (that's it's
a goal of the features maven plugin).
take an argument to define if the bundle are embedded in the kar or not.
of using a kar more than directly drop the features descriptor into the deploy directory :)

I think is usable is the (undocumented) kar packaging which ought to look something like this:

include the bundles you mentioned as entries in the feature.xml and copied into the kar.