karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Enterprise OBR in Karaf ?
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:28:38 GMT
Hi Achim,

my comments inline:

> did I get that right, you plan to use Karaf as a OBR Server?
> Cause right now I think we are more used to use OBR from the client view, right?

Exactly. Karaf acts more as a OBR "client" right now, but it ships also
an OBR. My purpose is to be able (optionally) to turn Karaf as an OBR
server, usable by remote OBR client (including other Karaf instances,
including Karaf children instances).

> Concerning the central Manager for other instances of a clustered
> environment. Do we really want to
> have a Managing instance like in the "good old days of JEE servers" or
> do we want a more P2P approach?

I think it's another discussion, especially when talking about feature
and stat sync, etc.

> So I'm unsure if we need that or if we just need a way of
> "synchronizing" all instances. For Provisioning inside the "cluster"
> it might be a good Idea to use OBR.

It's the purpose indeed. But more than only in the cluster case, it
could be helpful at least for Karaf children instances.

Regards
JB