karaf-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: features-maven-plugin progress and questions
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2011 05:34:08 GMT

On Mar 22, 2011, at 5:24 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Thanks for the update David.
>
> AFAIR, the ValidateFeaturesMojo allow you:
> - check if the features descriptor is valid regarding the XSD (introduced in Karaf 2.2.0)
> - check if there's not missing features or bundles in the features descriptor
>
> +1 to remove "old" Mojos.
>
> On my side, I would like to work on KARAF-402 to gather all goals in one main Karaf maven
plugin.
> Do you prefer that you have finished your changes before starting this ?

I think KARAF-402 consists of moving the cmdhelp package to the features-maven-plugin src/main/java/org/apache/karaf/tooling
and changing the project name for features-maven-plugin to karaf-maven-plugin?    If this
is all there is perhaps I could do it when I have a spare minute and time to update all the
local projects I have that are using the plugin.  WDYT?

I could also try to come up with a command packaging that includes generating the cmdhelp.

thanks
david jencks

> Regards
> JB
>
> On 03/23/2011 12:00 AM, David Jencks wrote:
>> I've been working on the features-maven-plugin some more.  I added a sample assemblies-apache-karaf-minimal
assembly to show some of what it can do (this is the same as the archive-server packaging
but not using the packaging itself).

>> I rewrote the dependency tree analysis in the GenerateFeatureXml2 mojo to use aether.
 Possibly it could be even simpler but this seems ok for now.

>> The InstallKars mojo now can install both kars and features.  By default bundles
listed in features.xml are put into startup.properties.  After completing startup.properties,
it uses aether to install all the (missing) bundles into system.

>> I don't understand the philosophy differentiating stuff put into system and started
from startup.properties and stuff put into local-repo and started by other means.  IIUC if
you do a clean start you will have to reconstruct everything you installed not listed in startup.properties,
is this correct?

>> I'm considering making compile scoped features and kars get installed into system
and startup.properties and runtime scoped features and kars installed into local-repo and
the features cfg file (so at least the server will still know about them after a clean).
Is this reasonable?

>> Note that the sample apache-karaf-minimal assembly is much much faster than the apache-karar
assembly.  I would prefer to use the new method.  AFAIK the missing piece is the source assembly.
 Is this actually useful?  the release plugin produces a source archive that seems more than
adequate to me.